All rights reserved.
Standifird, John Henry
Birth: 02-25-1905        Death: 06-06-1911
Headstone Location - Row: 4      Block: 18      Plot: 5
Mary Ann Argyle Standifird
                Journal Entry Trail Exerpt:

Thro the unwise course of Sister Pratt in
publishing me as having assisted her with
means, the mob were looking for me; but thro the
overruling hand of God their eyes were blinded
so that the mob did not recognize me and I
escaped their clutches.

. . In March 1857 I started overland to Missouri.
Fell in company with some Latter Day Saints
who were emegrating to Utah. I investigated their
Doctrines and on the 14" of June 1857 was
Baptised by William C[restfield]. Moody about 20
miles West or Southwest of Independence,
confirmed by Homer Duncan. I was ba[p]tised by
Elder Wm. C. Moody, confirmed by Homer
Duncan to best (as I remember) of Independince
[Independence] Mo. [Missouri]  — and on the
next day started with the Saints for the Salt Lake
Valley, Utah where I arrived 9, September 1857.

... (He was) called by Brigham Young to colonize
the new territory of Arizona for a time, his large
family lived in a large dugout on the Solomon
ranch near Shumway. joined the family of James
Pearce in Taylor the year later than James
settled it.
Taylor’s first two settlers were James
Pearce and John Henry Standifird in 1878

This painting by Peggy Rogers depicts the
settlers traveling by wagon. Pearce started for
Arizona on October 18, 1877, coming by way of
Lee's Ferry to Moincopi, through Tucker's Flat
into the settlements of Sunset and Brigham City.
They arriving in Woodruff on December 13,
1877. He left his family there while he explored
the country to the South. Then on January 21,
1878, he decided to retrieve his family. They left
Woodruff on January 22, headed toward Silver
Creek. Mary Jane, his wife, was lying in the
back of the wagon suffering from a headache.
Coming over the hill in view of Stinsen Ranch
(now Snowflake) James said, "Now come and
look at this, all this valley belongs to James
Stinson." She replied, "Well this is too good a
place for one man to have. It won't be more than
two years before our people will have this
place." Quoting James Pearce, "This was
nearly six months before the Flake Party located
at Snowflake". On January23, 1878 they arrived
at the present site of the town of Taylor. "This
land was not surveyed and I (James Pearce)
simply had a squatters claim.
John Henry Standiford, with his thirteen year old
daughter, Ann, came to Pearce's place March
7, 1878. They stayed with the Pearce family and
the two men decided to join forces. If they were
to survive the winter a crop had to be raised that
year. They explored up the creek and found a
place where irrigation water could be put on the
land quickly and easily. For two milk cows they
purchased the Squatter's Right to this place
from Felix Scott. It is known today as the Bert
Solomon Ranch. The remains of their old dam
and ditch are still plainly visible. They raised a
good crop in 1878, which sustained them and
also helped sustain settlers in Snowflake valley.
In July 1878, John Henry Standifird returned to
Utah for his families, leaving Ann with Mary
Jane Pearce. This place was farmed during the
summers of '78 and '79, but the winters were
spent in Taylor helping with the survey and lay
out of the town.

Photo provided by the Taylor/Shumway
Heritage Foundation, in Taylor, Arizona.